Whiplash Injuries can be as simple as slight neck pain, headaches, and shoulder pain, which resolves relatively quickly to pain and disability that can last for many months on end. At present the figures about return to recovery are as follows:
At 3 months:
- About 33% of patients will have completely recovered from their pain and disability.
- About 33% of will have lower levels of persisting pain and disability
- About 33% of will have high levels of pain and disability
At Coastal Physiotherapy & Sports Injury Clinic we have extensive experience and expertise in dealing with Whiplash Injuries. We have been the treating physiotherapists for Chronic Whiplash Associated Disorders (WAD) clinical trials for both The University of Queensland and New South Wales. We follow evidence-based treatment when treating your whiplash condition, and we will work closely with your Compulsory Third Party Insurance to optimise your treatment with as little impact on your pocket as possible.
What makes us different:
- We understand the complex nature of whiplash injuries, which can give you a whole host of symptoms that often appear to be quite bizarre.
- We begin treatment as soon as possible on to prevent complex patterns of movement avoidance setting in.
- We help you get moving early to help gain control of your pain.
- We do a comprehensive assessment of your neck, shoulder, and jaw to tailor the treatment program to your needs.
- We understand that in the cases that tend to persist that there are multiple factors involved such as a great deal of fear, or fear of movement.
- We understand the effect that the disorder has on the muscle, joints and nerves.
- We understand the small postural muscles are affected and need activating.
- We understand that as well as these small muscles the bigger muscles gone into spasm and might be weak or overactive and will need to be strengthened.
- We understand that your fitness and activity levels might have been modified leaving you unfit and very unhappy: we will devise a rehab program to get you fitter safely.
- We are at the forefront of evidence, but common sense, treatment (i.e. what works for you).
- We integrate the balance sense (vestibular) rehabilitation to complete and optimise the neck function and decrease the disability